Saturday, February 4, 2012

Grad school a no go (for now)

I got an e-mail the other day informing me I wasn't accepted into the graduate program at the University of MN. I'm a bit bummed out, but not too surprised. I know they got over 100 applications...for 8 spots. That's about 1 person accepted per discipline area. So, no grad school this year, but I'm trying to figure out what I should do next.

I like my job, but it's not a career track job for me. I'm itching lately to do....something, I don't know what. I just know I can't lose my drive and settle into a rut. If I don't push out of my comfort zone, I'll just stay there and not do anything of worth with myself. I'm just trying to figure out what I should do! I do know that I want to take another vacation this year. I hadn't taken a major one in three years until my road trip with my sisters last summer. Elisabeth is a lot happier when she's had some time off to relax and see the world.

The funny thing is, when I was younger I thought I'd have my life all figured out by the time I was 22....I'm going to be 25 in March, and I still don't know what I'm going to be when I grow up. I just assumed I'd be married and have kids by now. Apparently, God's plan is a little different than mine!

I'm trying to enjoy each day as it comes my way, but also plan for my future. I want to enjoy the present and be smart about the road ahead. I just don't know what my next step should be right now. Hey, God, how about some flaming letters on the wall telling me what to do? That'd be nice.

2 comments:

  1. Kiddo, I bet it hurts now. But I promise, something spectacular is waiting around 'round the corner for you! I'll leave you with a favorite lyric of mine from the ever-classic "Sunscreen Song" by Baz Luhrmann, "Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don’t." And like I said on Facebook, I didn't get into grad school at first either and I'm pretty sure this Plan B turned into everything I never knew I always needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Holly! You're a good reminder to me to enjoy the journey of life and look for adventure in unexpected places.

    ReplyDelete