Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Art Submissions

Today, I have already submitted work twice in response to calls for art posted on MN Artists. It's pretty tedious and time consuming, but that's how I get my art shown. The thing is, no two submission processes are the same. Each one requires you to label, arrange, re-size, and write about the work in completely different ways. This one requires a full artist resume, that one wants a one page summary, another does't want any supporting documents. And if you don't follow the directions exactly, down to the most minute detail, they'll just throw your submission out. They don't have time for artists who can't bother following directions. If you don't submit work exactly as asked, it also reflects poorly on how serious you take being an artist. It also depends on what kind of call for art you're responding to. Colleges, art galleries, and contests tend to have very specific, detailed instructions, whereas a coffee shop or restaurant just wants to keep it simple so their time isn't getting wasted.

I have gotten a number of shows so far by physically handing a CD, burned with images of my art and contact info, to a proprietor of a space. But that's like cold calling someone for a job--sometimes you get a bite, but most of the time you get nothing. It pays to be prepared though: I had work at Beloved for six months last year; I didn't even know they had a gallery space before I walked in the door. I was there for a tattoo consultation that day, but because I had a CD on hand, they saw my art right away and I came across as someone who is serious about being an artist. There's nothing worse than telling someone you make art and not having any way to show them some work when they ask. People are more likely to look at the art if there's a tangible thing to put in their hands, rather than trying to remember a random website later that was written down on a scrap of paper.

Today is the first time in a while that I've sat down and seriously focused on submitting work. Since November last year, I'd totally slacked off in this. I don't why, but I lost all my motivation and drive to respond to any art calls. I let a lot of good opportunities pass me by, not feeling like taking the time (maybe an hour at most for submission, which really isn't that much). I stopped being really proactive about leaving my art CDs at places. I haven't made much art this winter either. In 2010 through the beginning of 2011, I made over 100 different pieces. Since the end of last summer, I've completed maybe 15 paintings, and only this past month gotten serious about finally deploying the rest of the Doily Ninjas. It's just been within the last month that I've gotten back into some serious art making. I don't know what threw me off my game so much either. I just didn't feel the push that I normally do. I'm usually pretty good about using my time effectively and consistently working on art making...but up until this month, I'd been so uninspired. I'm just tired. And not particularly in a physical way, it's more in a mental way. Physically I always struggle with low energy reserves due to my health issues, but that never stopped me in the past. I've learned to manage and work around my fatigue if I really want to get something done.

I don't know, maybe it's just a seasonal funk. I'm trying to not let my emotions get the best of me and get back on track to get my work out there.

Like here!

No comments:

Post a Comment