Thursday, December 8, 2011

Angry eyebrows and old people

I noticed recently that my face tends to naturally slip into a scowl.

Not like Mr. Sparkly Vampire--he's just pouting
I've been catching myself lately with a furrowed brow and my lips turned down. I don't know why either--I don't really have a lot of stress in my life. I think it's just because I tend to focus deeply on the task at hand or be in the process of deeply pondering something. 

But the reason it bothers me is that as you age, your face sets into whatever expression you make the most. Your wrinkles mirror your life-long demeanor, not just the face you present to the public.

Who's got a big stick up her butt?
Who's been laughing at himself for years?





















I'm aiming to be a happy, joyful old person, and I want my face to reflect that. Old ladies come into the book store where I work all the time, and they just look like they've been sucking on lemons their whole lives. They also have waaaay to much makeup on and seem to be trying to pretend that they're still in their 20's. I'm sorry, but a woman in her 60's shouldn't dress the same as a 22 year old. It just looks silly and desperate. 

Guess what? I embrace the fact that I'm going to get old someday. I've already decided I'm not going to color my hair when it goes gray. What's that Bible verse? "Gray hair is a crown of glory." Yeah, I like that. 
Anyways, I don't want to look like those sour old ladies. I want my wrinkles to reflect my life of walking with Jesus. And that life might not always be easy or fun, but as a Christian, I can be content no matter what my situation. I don't want eyebrow furrows and frowning lips--I want laugh lines...lots of them. I want my face to show that even in the tough times, I still chose to look for the silver lining instead of focusing on all the dark clouds. (And that is how I currently view my life.)

 I seek to age like my parents, who have lived through many trying, dark times in their lives...yet it's common to hear them bantering and laughing with each other. They could be angry, bitter, cynical, and have every right to be. But what kind of life is that? They've shown me that a life of complaining and bitterness and grudge-bearing leads to nothing, even though it's easier to go that route. To choose happiness and joy takes a little more work, but is ultimately more fulfilling. I think one of the reasons my parents have aged so well is that they choose to make much of the good things in life. 

30 years of marriage--they still LIKE each other.
This picture epitomizes who they are.

I want to reflect that shared worldview. I don't want to be sour but joy-filled. Positive not grumpy. Happy by choice not from naivete. I want to age gracefully, not desperately trying to hang onto some ideal of youth. Just like the seasons of the year, so people transition into different stages of their lives. We need winter just as much as summer, does that make sense? 

So wrinkles? Bring 'em on. I just really don't want angry old lady eyebrows. 

2 comments:

  1. Much easier to embrace those ideals in your 20's. Wait until the gray hair comes... you might want to change your mind and hang onto that gorgeous red hair of yours even if it comes from a bottle...or not. I embrace the fact that I'm well into my 40's but I don't want anyone mistaking me for being in my 50's or 60's. I still feel so young it's shocking sometimes when I look in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well, you still look pretty darn young!

    ReplyDelete