Friday, December 9, 2011

Year in review part 1: Family

The holiday season is upon us, and one of its many traditions: the Christmas letter. Usually it's subtle (or boldly overt) showing off: Timmy's soccer team won the championship! Bobby graduated valedictorian! Susy won a gold medal! Whatever. Not that sharing your family's accomplishments is a bad thing, but all the awesome gets lumped into one page or card sent at the end of the year. I prefer to hear about the good things as they happen, to share in the joy. And when crap happens, I want to be there for my friends to help in their time of trouble.

So, this is my Christmas letter/blog, but I'm not here to just toot my own horn and show off how awesome I am. I want to review this past year, the good and the bad, to show how good God has been. On Christmas Eve for many years, I've had a conversation with God that I journal. I reflect on the past 12 months, and thank Him for his goodness and grace in my life. I think about the hard stuff I endured and the joys I got to experience. The friends gained...and lost. I notice when a stage of my life has ended, and thank God for it and look forward to the next chapter. I mull over what the theme of my coming year will be.

At the end of last December, I felt that 2011 would be the year of relationships: forging new ones, renewing and fortifying my existing friendships, drawing closer to family, seeking to know Jesus more personally. And that was the theme for this year in many ways.

I feel closer to my family, celebrating our inside jokes and shared silliness. We revel in being weird and laughing, because we know that life can really suck sometimes. My parents continue to love God, each other and our family, living that out in every circumstance. They celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary this year! I like to sit in the kitchen and talk about whatever with my Mom. I enjoy taking my Dad out to eat, because he's good company too. I'm so blessed to have such loving parents who are so involved in my life and care not just for my physical needs but also spiritual.

Hannah and I continue to share a room, dealing with limited closet space and different definitions of what "tidy" means. ;) Though it's fun to be able to raid each other's clothes when we have "nothing to wear." Hannah is a junior at the University of Minnesota, and will be studying abroad in New Zealand next semester. She's been praying and trusting God to provide all the money she stills needs as she's been filling out scholarship after scholarship.

Leah is going on over four years at Starbucks as a barista. Within the last couple months, she landed a job at First Avenue in downtown Minneapolis. If you don't know, First Ave is one of the premier clubs in the whole country! It's the perfect place to continue pursuing her calling in the music industry. She's also the manager for a band called Cosmonaut. I think God's going to be taking her some interesting places over the next year, that's for sure!

It's been rough year for Andrew to say the least. He's lived with Chronic Granulomatous Disease (CGD) his whole life, which is tough enough. But he was also diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2008, and over the last year and a half has been battling Inflammatory Bowel Disease. His insides are all kinds of messed up. Much prayer for his recovery would be very appreciated. But no pity please. I don't want to define him simply by his diseases though. He is Mr. Technology: he's a hardcore gamer and wants to work for Game Informer magazine someday. I took him on a tour of my alma mater, Northwestern College, earlier this year...which was super weird for me. I used to change his poopy diapers....and now he's almost ready for college! Craziness. There is hope on the horizon for his CGD as well: a bone marrow transplant can cure it, and we're currently in the process of seeing if one of us siblings is a match. Please pray that one of us is, because that would be AWESOME! You have no idea what that would mean for Andrew, to be cured from this thing he's had to deal with since he was a baby.

My older brother, Nate, just got back from his third deployment to Iraq earlier this week. He's also been to Afghanistan twice. I'm happy he got home safe and sound. We're all excited to spend Christmas with him and hang out. He's going to be stationed in Hawaii for a while, so I might have to go out there for a visit.

For the first time in years, my whole family got to visit with my grandparents earlier this year. It was super fun to have us all there and celebrate my grandma and grandpa 60 years of marriage. I really like hanging out with my extended family.

At the end of May, my sisters and I embarked on a two week cross country road trip. I'm pretty sure that'll be the only time just the three of us travel together like that, and we had a lot of fun. Hannah and I both were sick for most of it, but we didn't let that slow us down. We drove to Omaha, Nebraska to visit our aunt and uncle, then down to Arizona to stay with our dear friends the Barnes family. We had much fun and merriment at their house. It was hard to come home after being so pampered. It was definitely a good time. Along the way, I left Doily Ninjas in every state. Leah was kind enough to document where I left them, and my Facebook is full of their pictures. And of course, we had to have a couple photo shoots too. This is my favorite from the trip. That's Hannah and I jumping in front of an awesome sunset in the middle of nowhere in Colorado.


So my family definitely experienced ups and downs this year, but God has been good and gracious to us. It's exciting to think where He's going to lead us in the next 12 months. I'm thankful for each of them and our deep love for each other. We actually like being around each other (most of the time).

Next up, Part 2: Friends 

No comments:

Post a Comment