Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Stepping off the cliff

I've decided to take the plunge and apply for grad school! I graduated with my Bachelor's in Fine Arts in Dec. 2008, so I've had some time to establish myself as an artist and grow in my art style. But I'm ready to take the next step in my life. I'm currently working at Half Price Books and it's a super nice job for retail....but it's not a career job for me. Some people might be satisfied with working a random job to support their art making, but I want an arts related career. Specifically, I want to teach art at the college level....but you need a masters for that. I don't want to keep putting off what I really want to do with my life, so I'm going to stop making excuses and being afraid of the unknown. It feels like I'm standing at the edge of a cliff getting ready to jump off. I could fall and fail miserably...or I will fly and soar to new heights. I read this in an article yesterday and it stuck in my brain: "I learned that failure is an essential pat of developing truly powerful ideas." So even if I fall flat on my face and I don't get into school at least I'm moving outside of what's comfortable and safe. I don't want to just stay where I'm at, it's time for a new chapter in my life to begin! 

1 comment: